Monday, 4 February 2013

Perfect Tops from Next


It seems like no time ago that I was welcoming the colder days of Autumn and joyfully pulling on boots happy in the knowledge that for the next six months or more, I would no longer have to worry about how to conceal my psoriasis during the short-sleeved days of summer.   Clearly I have a low boredom threshold, as now I’m greeting the brighter days and glimpses of sunshine with pure joy.  It may still be cold, but there is definite evidence of Spring approaching.

I think Spring is my favourite time of year.  The temperatures are still low enough that I don’t have to worry too much about what to wear. It’s warm enough to dispense with the need for puffa coats and winter woollies, yet cool enough to wear blazers, jackets and boots.  My type of season really!  So today, in this optimistic hope that Spring is on its way, I want to continue with a topic that I mentioned in my last post about the current range of tops in Next.  I should probably also mention at this juncture, that this is not a sponsored post.

Each summer I struggle to find clothes that are season appropriate yet allow me to conceal the ravages of psoriasis.  So when I was in Next last week (not a shop I enter often anymore it must be said) I was genuinely excited when I saw their current stock of tops and tee-shirts.  Honestly, it was as though their fashion buyer had been reading my mind.  The rails were awash with three-quarter length sleeves and alongside the usual black there was a range of paler colours.  Experience has taught me that if you don’t grab them now, they will be gone when you are looking for them in a few months.  And while you’re waiting for that summer sunshine, they will be perfect beneath the aforementioned blazers and jackets.  So win win all round!

Starting with a basic slub 3/4 sleeve tee shirt, I love this for a number of reasons.  Not only is the sleeve length and colour right, it also has the perfect neckline.  When the weather is warmer and you are forced to wear longer sleeves it needs to be balanced by a lower neckline, or perhaps buttons that can be opened.  The idea is to give the illusion of showing as much skin as the person in the sleeveless tank beside you.  These sleeves pulled up as much as your skin will allow, combined with a lower neckline will ensure that you won’t look out of place on a warm summer’s day.  And there’s also a stripe version.  Well hello!

Perfect shade and sleeve length to conceal psoriasis
 

Perfect sleeve length to conceal psoriasis

Chiffon is playing a big role in many of the tops in Next this season.  This chiffon panel top in ecru has a chiffon panel on the sides which is an interesting detail and to be fair, is an area that is less likely to suffer from psoriasis plaques.  If your torso is an area that is affected, this would need to be tried on to ensure that it camouflages correctly, but as it comes in a range of colours chances are you will find one to suit you. 
perfect for concealing psoriasis
 


The burn-out stud detail top also comes in a range of colours and is a lovely basic with an interesting twist.
Perfect for concealing psoriasis


For those of you who like to wear linen, this tie front top is ideal.  Quite honestly, I cannot bear the wrinkles that occur within minutes of wearing linen, particularly given how long it takes to iron the blasted fabric.  But that’s just a personal foible (for which I totally blame my mother) and as it is hailed by all as the perfect summer fabric, then you don’t need to look any further for a top that will tick all the boxes.
Perfect colour and sleeve length to conceal psoriasis


It doesn’t have to be all plain colours, although these are always good basics to have in your wardrobe.  For those who prefer a little pattern, there are also some tops that might be of interest.  First up is the elephant print bubble hem top which gets a big thumbs-up from me due to its forgiving shape and cute buttoned shoulder detail.

Ideal for concealing psoriasis
 

Finally the notch neck top comes in a range of patterns and colours.
Ideal for concealing psoriasis
 
Ideal for concealing psoriasis
 

The even better news is that these tops are not going to break the bank.  At an average price of about €22, they are very good value particularly given that clothes from Next tend to launder and last very well.

That’s my lot for today. Have you seen anything in this selection that has taken your fancy?  Or has Spring not sprung yet where you live?

12 comments:

  1. Hi Helen! I was in Next yesterday! I very nearly bought the grey floral one above but when I turned it round, the back was plain grey and I thought it cheapened the overall look. I went for one of their knits instead and you are right they have a fab Spring collection at great prices:) Have a lovely week.
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you agree. I was really surprised by the collection this season. So ideal for people like myself who have skin disorders

      Delete
  2. Great selection Helen...defo going to call into Next this week. Esp like the shape of that first one. Have a great week, Avx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Avril, I have a strong suspicion that the first one will end up coming home with me. It's just so perfect and the shape is very forgiving of the dreaded lumps & bumps that we try to conceal :)

      Delete
  3. I'm a bit hit and miss with Next. Loved it when I was in my teens and it had just been relaunched and it all felt very exciting and then it kind of got lost somewhere in the early 2000's. I find the odd piece in there but it's always when I'm not really looking. They are pretty reasonably priced on the high street and their clothes do wash well.

    Spring has not quite sprung where I am but it has in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I agree. I loved Next for work clothes in the early days and I was also one of those maniacs who got up at 5am to shop in the sale for kids clothes .. no point doing that now, The Child is too old and would not be impressed by anything I'd choose!! Haven't really gone in there for quite a while but was very impressed with their stock last week.

      Delete
  4. Love all of these!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Glad you liked the selection.

      Delete
  5. I love Next, it is a shop I visit often and do think the quality is good. I'm loving the chiffon sided top. Very dressy, without being over the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next was a shop that I always had a look at; not quite sure why I stopped over the past few years. I agree the chiffon top is lovely. It's one that I will definitely be checking out.

      Delete
  6. I'd say that Spring is probably my favourite too - I like that I can layer a little but finally start showing my legs! That first top is lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  7. After all my optimism following sunshine at the weekend, we're back to frost and sleet again! Cannot wait for Spring! Thanks for commenting and glad you liked the tops. Helen

    ReplyDelete